2022 Application Period is Now OPEN
Application deadline: Sunday, July 17, 2022, 11:59 pm PDT
Application review period: July-August
Application results: By late August via email to all applicants
- Pre-Conference Orientation Call: October 6, 4:00 pm PDT
- 2022 U.S.-Japan Council Annual Conference: October 26-29 in Tokyo
- Post-Conference debrief (virtual): November 9, 3:00 pm PST
Next application review period: June-July 2023
- Japanese American professionals 24-35 years of age at the time of the Conference
- Hold U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency
- Applicants must reside in the United States or Japan, and must be available to travel to Tokyo for the Annual Conference in October
- Selected applicants from the United States must have a valid passport or obtain one prior to the Conference at their own expense
- Strong interest in U.S.-Japan relations as demonstrated through professional, academic, extra-curricular or community involvement
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Commitment to remain involved in U.S.-Japan relations by engaging in U.S.-Japan Council programs and initiatives
- In making the final selection, diversity of geography, gender, and professional background will be given consideration, in addition to diversity of experience in Japan including first time travelers and those with moderate to extensive experience.
- Selected applicants will be introduced to the Council via a series of virtual events beginning in October, 2021.
- They will become U.S.-Japan Council Associates with the first year’s membership dues waived (membership is normally by invitation and nomination).
- Specially tailored programming designed for leadership development and engagement with the USJC network
As part of the application process, candidates will be asked to upload a PDF packet including documents 1-3 below, as well as a short introductory video. All materials must be in English.
- Personal Statement
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (limit 2, may be submitted separately via email)
- Short video (see prompt in application form below, limit 3 minutes)
- Other online materials to help us get to know you (optional)
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.