2021 Application Period is Now OPEN
Application deadline: Sunday, August 8, 2021 11:59 PM PDT
Application review period: August-September
Application results: By late September notification of results will be sent to applicants via email
Class Orientation & USJC Signature Series (1-2 hour virtual sessions)
- Timeframe: Fall-Winter 2021:
- *Class Orientation: October 7, 4:00 pm PT
- *Members’ Forum: October 21
- **Bilateral Boardroom: November 16
- **Next Generation Summit: December 10-11
** May be viewed on-demand following the event
Connect with USJC’s global community of diverse leaders and develop professional skills, strengthen networks, and build powerful relationships through ELP’s virtual curriculum. Each session will feature an expert speaker on a topic related to leadership development in the context of the Japanese American experience.
- Timeframe: January-May, 3rd Thursday of each month, 4:00-6:00 pm Pacific Time
- January 20, 2022
- February 17, 2022
- March 17, 2022
- April 21, 2022
- May 19, 2022
- June 16, 2022
- Additional sessions will include programming with ELP alumni, class debriefs & meetings with staff.
- The class will collaborate on a final presentation to close the program.
Next application review period: June-July 2022
- Japanese American professional, 24-35 years of age in 2021
- U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident
- Resident of the United States or Japan
- Strong interest in U.S.-Japan relations through professional, academic, extracurricular or community involvement
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Commitment to remain involved in U.S.-Japan relations by engaging in U.S.-Japan Council programs and initiatives
In making the final selection, diversity of geography, gender, and professional background will also be given consideration.
- Selected applicants will be introduced to the Council via a series of virtual events beginning in October, 2021.
- They will become U.S.-Japan Council Associates with the first year’s membership dues waived (membership is normally by invitation and nomination).
- Specially tailored programming designed for leadership development and engagement with the USJC network
Please have the following documents ready upon submission of your application. All materials must be in English.
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendations (limit 2, may be submitted separately via email)
- Short video (see prompt in application link below; limit 3 minutes)
- Other online materials to help us get to know you (optional)